Activities for the 2 to 4 years age group
1. Self correcting inset boards
2. Jigsaw puzzles
3. Picture cards matching, face up – face down.
4. Alphabet cards in tamil or english – matching.
5. Flash cards “pictures”
6. Colour coded number rods.
7. Counting with beads, stones, leaves, etc.
8. Numeral – number, matching cards, number board.
9. Story telling by teacher —by children
10. Listening to rhymes on audio tape – -dancing /moving.
11. Colouring with crayons, poster paints and brushes.
12. Cut and stick, clay dough, pouring and filling, balancing objects on head.
13. Walking on pipes, lines, balancing sticks, juggling.
14. Writing on sand and slates.
15. Rock art , Pronounciation games &Singing.
Activities for the 4 to 5 years age group
1. Alphabet cards – English – Tamil , matching, fishing .
2. Word cards – English – Tamil, matching, fishing .
3. Rhyming words cards .
4. Making words using the movable alphabet.
5. Flash cards – pictures – words.
6. Number rods – place value cards up to 9999.
7. Counting stringed beads … counting on abacus.
8. Addition – subtraction using boards, beads, and number rods .
9. Multiplication and division using beads or stones or sticks.
10. Drawing lines using scales, patterns using cut shapes.
11. Over writing – copy writing – worksheets.
12. Story reading by teacher or audiotape.
13. Story telling by child – teacher helps to draw pictures describing the story .
14. Colouring with crayons, painting with poster colours
15. Clay work, cut and stick, stitching.
Activities for the 6 to 8 years age group
1. Flash cards -English -Tamil – Hindi – word cards.
2. Alphabet cards – Hindi – matching – fishing.
3. Reading story books in English and Tamil.
4. Text books for Science, social science and math.
5. Math work book – using material to understand the abstract ideas.
6. Geometry – area calculations using unit board, study angles using circle board.
7. Fractions – using fraction cards to add and subtract.
8. Story reading by teacher or audio tape.
9. Story writing – drawing pictures, – and making it into a book.
10. Drawing shapes using scales set squares compass, protractors, etc.
11. Clay modeling, paper folding, making small toys.
12. Stitching – small bags, purses, dusters, etc.
Activities for the 8 to 12 years age group
1. Word cards, opposites, synonyms, rhyming words – English, Tamil, Hindi.
2. Text books for english, tamil, hindi, science, social science
3. Math work book – work with material.
4. Draw their family tree.
5. Write the story of how their parents met and married.
6. Write two anecdotes describing the saddest and the happiest moments in the lives of any relatives. Draw 6 pictures to illustrate the event.
7. Study the history of their village by talking to elderly people about the living conditions, rainfall, vegetation and wildlife of the past.
8. Make a model of a village with card paper.
9. Draw scaled maps of their villages.
10. Write a story, draw pictures to illustrate it and make a book.
11. Write a poem and make a picture to go with it.
12. Clay modeling, painting, cut and stick, collage work, puzzle making.
13. Make puppets and do a puppet show.
14. Experimental farming on a small plot of land.
Subjects related to the farming experiment
Calculate the no of rows in a plot
Establish pattern of planting
Calculate no of seeds required
Extrapolate for larger areas
Geometry : Draw the patterns of planting .
Explore more patterns
Understand how plant density can be increased keeping same plant to plant distances using new patterns .
Engineering: Evolving tools for easier farming .
Evolving tool for pattern planting .
Making weather cocks , sundial .
Biology: Study the plant biology, scientific name, etc.
Study the relation between plant growth, soil fertility, seasons, humus, etc.
Study the evolution of plant types.
Need for biodiversity, crop rotation, trees in farming, etc.
Zoology: Farm animals, care, food.
Study the pests, role of pesticides.
Harmful effects of chemical pesticides.
Study the insects – their life cycle.
Study the inputs and outputs.
Evaluate the results. See the economics of farming.
Observations & Deductions.
How to make farming a paying occupation?
How to fix price of a product?
Study the history of farming.
Find when people in their region started growing certain crops. Find the reason for the extinction of certain seeds and farming practices.
How farming is connected with topography, climate, elevation, location of industries.
Express their observations in their own words writing about their activities